If your interior home decor aesthetic is typically eco-friendly with natural color and earth tones, you must know what a jute rug is. The jute rug is a woven product from a natural fiber that comes from the inner bark of the jute plant. Jute is a strong and durable fiber, making it ideal for rugs. Jute rugs are also relatively inexpensive and easy to find and are readily available on our Kuden Rugs website.
Jute rugs fit in any spot in the home: bedroom, living room, and even the patio. Thanks to natural dyes, you can also get them in varying colors, patterns, shapes, and designs. Another accolade they award the planet is that they are biodegradable. If the rug wears out beyond repair, add it with other biodegradables for composting your garden.
So, they are affordable, versatile, long-lasting, and eco-friendly, but how do you clean them?
Being a natural fiber, the jute material is highly absorbent. If you spill a drink or drop food without proper cleaning, you’ll have a smelly and discolored rug. In this piece, we want to take you down the rabbit hole on how to clean jute rugs to remove some of the common tough stains.
Ready to learn?
Let’s get started.
Why Do You Need To Carefully Cleaning Your Jute Rug?
We have the obvious reasons why we clean a carpet or rug, but why should you do it carefully for a jute rug specifically?
You need to exercise caution when cleaning your jute rug for several compelling reasons.
Firstly, meticulous care ensures prolonged durability. Regular cleaning safeguards your investment and preserves the history woven into its fibers.
Secondly, it's vital for maintaining health and hygiene in your living space. With a clean jute rug, you prevent allergens and promoting a cleaner environment.
Another reason to do a careful jute rug cleaning is to eradicate stains as soon as they form. By preventing stains, you not only maintain an attractive appearance but also protect the rug as a canvas for cherished memories.
Odor control is yet another reason. No one likes having a rug that stinks. And since Jute fibers are highly absorbent, improper cleaning breeds ground of nasty smells manifesting.
Lastly, careful cleaning preserves the integrity of natural jute fibers. This enhances sustainability and eco-friendliness.
Taking care of your jute rug becomes cost-effective in the long run, sparing you from premature replacement costs.
Are All Jute Carpets Washable?
Not all jute carpets are washable, and we list this in all our product descriptions. The washability of a jute carpet largely depends on its construction and the treatment of the jute fibers during manufacturing. Knowing the washability of a jute carpet helps you find the best ways to clean a jute rug at home.
Here’s a breakdown of the critical factors to consider:
- Material Quality: High-quality jute carpets are often more washable than their lower-quality counterparts. Our premium jute rugs are pre-treated or coated with protective substances that make them more resistant to moisture and stains.
- Backing Type: A jute carpet’s backing is critical in its washability. Some jute rugs have latex or rubber backing that can deteriorate when exposed to water, making them unsuitable for washing. Others have a cotton or fabric backing that may fare better with proper care.
- Weave and Thickness: Thin, loosely woven jute rugs may not hold up well to washing, as the fibers can become weak and brittle when soaked. Thicker, tightly woven jute rugs are generally more durable and washable.
- Manufacturers’ Guidelines: When you buy our Kuden Rugs, always refer to the our Kuden Rugs guidelines. Some of our jute rugs are labeled as “spot clean only” or “dry clean only” to prevent damage, and you should be aware of that.
- DIY vs. Professional Cleaning: Even if a jute carpet is washable, some individuals may prefer professional cleaning to ensure proper care and avoid potential issues like fiber distortion or shrinkage.
Materials You Need for Everyday and Deep Cleaning Jute Rugs
Now that you know the answer to: how do you clean a jute rug? you’ll need materials for the cleaning part. Take note that there are everyday maintenance and deep cleaning materials to keep your jute rug looking its best. Here’s a comprehensive list of essential items:
Everyday Cleaning Materials:
- Vacuum Cleaner: A vacuum with a brush attachment is ideal for regular jute rug maintenance. It helps remove loose dirt, dust, and debris.
- Broom: A soft-bristle broom or brush can be used as an alternative to a vacuum for light daily cleaning.
- Lint Roller: Useful for quickly picking up pet hair, lint, or small debris between vacuuming sessions.
- Spot Cleaner: A gentle, natural spot cleaner or mild soap solution is essential for addressing spills promptly.
- White Cloth or Paper Towels: These are handy for blotting spills and absorbing moisture without transferring color onto the rug.
Deep Cleaning Materials:
- Bucket: A bucket helps mix cleaning solutions and carry water for rinsing.
- Natural Fiber Shampoo: Choose a specifically formulated jute rug cleaner to deep clean without harming the natural fibers.
- Soft Brush or Cloth: Use a soft brush or cloth for gently scrubbing the rug during deep cleaning.
- Sponge or Scrubbing Pad: For tackling stubborn stains and spots.
- Rubber Gloves: Protect your hands from moisture and cleaning agents during the deep cleaning.
- Water: For both rinsing and mixing cleaning solutions, lukewarm water is preferable.
- Towels: Lay clean, dry towels over the washed rug to absorb excess moisture and aid in drying.
- Ventilation: Ensure proper ventilation in the cleaning area to help the rug dry completely.
- Patience: Deep cleaning of a jute rug requires time for drying, so be patient to avoid potential damage from moisture.
How To Clean Dust and Dirt from Jute Rugs
Cleaning dust and dirt from washable jute rugs is a straightforward process that can help maintain their natural beauty. Here’s a step-by-step guide to effectively remove dust and dirt:
- Vacuum Regularly: Start using a vacuum cleaner with a brush attachment for jute rugs. Gently run the vacuum over the rug’s surface toward the fibers to pick up loose dust and dirt. Regular vacuuming is essential for preventing dirt from settling deep into the fibers.
- Broom or Shake: For smaller jute rugs or spot cleaning, you can use a soft-bristle broom or shake the rug outdoors to dislodge stubborn dirt and dust particles.
- Spot Cleaning: In case of localized spots or stains, address them promptly using a gentle, natural spot cleaner or a mild soap solution. Blot the stain with a white cloth or paper towel, taking care not to rub vigorously, which could damage the jute fibers.
- Allow to Air: After spot cleaning or dust removal, allow the jute rug to air out in a well-ventilated area to ensure it’s scorched and moisture-free.
By incorporating these cleaning steps into your routine, you can effectively rid your washable jute rug of dust and dirt, preserving its natural charm and extending its longevity. Regular maintenance is vital to keeping your jute rug looking its best.
How To Clean Drink Stains From Jute Rugs
Accidents happen, and when a drink spills on your jute rug, swift and careful action is essential to prevent permanent stains. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to clean drink stains from jute rugs:
- Act Quickly: When a drink is spilled, grab a clean white cloth or paper towel and gently blot the stain to absorb as much liquid as possible. Avoid rubbing, as it may push the liquid deeper into the fibers.
- Prepare a Cleaning Solution: Mix a mild solution of warm water and a few drops of dishwashing liquid. Ensure it’s not too concentrated to prevent residue buildup.
- Test in an Inconspicuous Area: Before applying the solution to the stained area, test it on an inconspicuous part of the jute rug to check for any adverse reactions.
- Blot the Stain: Dip a clean cloth into the soapy solution and gently blot the drink stain—work from the outside to prevent spreading.
- Rinse Thoroughly: Use a separate cloth dampened with clean water to rinse the area. Ensure you don’t oversaturate the jute rug.
- Dry Completely: Pat the cleaned area with dry towels to remove excess moisture and allow the rug to air dry. Avoid direct sunlight, as it can fade the jute fibers.
- Spot Test Again: After drying, recheck the area to ensure the stain is completely gone.
By following these steps promptly and gently, you can effectively remove drink stains from your jute rug and preserve its natural allure.
How To Clean Jute Rug Pet Stain
Cleaning pet stains from your jute rug requires quick action and careful cleaning to eliminate the stain and any odors. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to clean pet stains from jute rugs:
- Act Swiftly: When you notice a pet stain, grab paper towels or a clean cloth to absorb as much liquid as possible. Be gentle to prevent the stain from spreading deeper into the fibers.
- Prepare a Cleaning Solution: Mix equal parts white vinegar and warm water. This natural solution helps neutralize pet odors.
- Test in an Inconspicuous Area: Before applying the cleaning solution to the stained area, test it in a hidden spot on the jute rug to ensure it doesn’t cause any damage or discoloration.
- Blot the Stain: Dampen a clean cloth with the vinegar solution and gently blot the pet stain, working from the outside toward the center. Avoid rubbing or scrubbing to prevent damage to the jute fibers.
- Rinse Thoroughly: Use a separate cloth dampened with clean water to rinse the area and remove any remaining cleaning solution.
- Dry Completely: Pat the cleaned area with dry towels to remove excess moisture, then allow the rug to air dry. Please keep it away from direct sunlight to prevent fading.
- Check for Odors: After completely drying the rug, check for any lingering odors. If necessary, sprinkle baking soda over the area, let it sit for a few hours, and then vacuum it to eliminate odors.
Following these jute rug cleaning steps promptly and carefully can effectively clean pet stains from your washable jute rug, leaving it fresh and odor-free.
Signs it's Time For Professional Jute Deep Cleaning
While regular maintenance can extend the life of your jute rug, there comes a time when professional deep cleaning is necessary. Learning how to deep clean jute rug at home is noble, but sometimes, they may need more care.
Here are vital signs that indicate it’s time to seek expert jute rug cleaning services:
- Stubborn Stains: If you’ve tried DIY cleaning methods and persistent stains remain, it’s time to call in professionals with specialized jute rug cleaner expertise.
- Foul Odors: Lingering pet odors or musty smells that persist despite your efforts signal the need for a deep clean to eliminate odor-causing agents.
- General Dirtiness: Over time, dirt and grime accumulate deep within the jute fibers, making the rug appear dull and discolored. Professional cleaning can restore its vibrancy.
- Wear and Tear: Excessive foot traffic can lead to visible wear and tear, fraying edges, or flattened areas. Experts can rejuvenate the rug and address these issues.
- Mold or Mildew: Professionals can safely remove these health hazards if you suspect mold or mildew growth due to moisture exposure.
- Allergies or Health Issues: Professional cleaning can improve indoor air quality if family members experience allergy symptoms or health issues exacerbated by dust and allergens trapped in the rug.
- Preservation: For valuable or antique jute rugs, professional cleaning ensures their protection, maintaining their beauty and value.
When these signs manifest, it’s advisable to consult a professional jute rug care washing service to revive your rug’s appearance and maintain its longevity.
Having a clean home with a clean carpet or rug is entirely possible. And if you have a jute rug, now you know how to remove some of the most common strains and dirt.
Incorporating these simple yet effective practices into your jute rug care routine will ensure your rug remains a beautiful and lasting addition to your home. Regular cleaning practices will do the trick, and when you have those pesky stubborn stains, get a deeper cleaning professionally.
Rediscover the timeless beauty of our Kuden Rugs jute rug with professional cleaning services.
At Kuden Rugs, we're dedicated to offering you tips to restore its natural luster without compromising delicate fibers. So, when you're ready to enhance your living space, explore our stunning collection of jute rugs.
For care tips and expert guidance, don't hesitate to contact us. Let our Kuden Rugs be your source of both exceptional rugs and the knowledge to keep them looking their best. Bring warmth, texture, and style into your home with us, and cherish your jute rug's enduring beauty for years to come.